UK Registered Charity Number: 1154107
Conservation by Re-use
Helping churches acquire surplus and/or redundant bells to be hung for
English-style full-circle bell-ringing.
Bristol, Portland Square,
Former church of St Paul
The church was opened in 1794 and its fine tower was designed to hold a ring of ten bells. However only four bells were purchased, all cast by John Rudhall of Gloucester, two in 1792 and the 6th and tenor bells of the proposed ring in 1795. At the time the church was declared redundant in 1993 only the two 1795 bells were hung; the 1792 bells resting on the frame. Interestingly only one of the 1792 bells would have been suitable as part of the ring of ten bells, the other bell being too small, too light and the wrong note!
The three lighter bells were removed from the church after it was made redundant leaving the 26 cwt tenor as the clock bell.
Left: Bristol, St Paul; bottom left: Buckland Dinham; middle left: Wagga Wagga; bottom right: Sydney, St James.
|Trust donations - Church gallery|
|Rings of bells|
|Bell-frames & fittings|
|UK - Redundant church gallery|
|UK - Bells for chiming|
|Overseas - Bells for Chiming|
|John Taylor Bellfoundry Museum|
|The Sound of Bells|
|ex-Trinity House buoy bells|
|Relocating Redundant Church Bells|
|UK Bell-founders & hangers|
|Our Internet Service Provider|